Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Enchanting Class


I just got back from Seattle and have to show you what I did in Julie Haymaker Thompson's class called Enchanting. Julie is an incredible mixed media artist who uses her whimsical style for a wide variety of art pieces that she creates. She's only been teaching for a year and a half and she is so good at it! I don't take many art classes and tend to be artistically reserved (okay,maybe tied up would be more accurate!), but with Julie's warmth, kindness, and her positive, encouraging style, I had a blast! Everyone in the class used Julie's image as our starting point so we could dive right into all the techniques she taught without having to also work out our own illustration. The class was in Chehalis, Washington, about an hour and a half from Seattle, at Terri Brush's beautiful home. She couldn't have been nicer and made the day perfect with the delicious treat bags, snacks and lunch that she served. Oh, the limoncello cheesecake! And, Terri too, is a wonderful artist.

Another part of my trip was to see my brother Jeff, who lives in Seattle. I stayed with him and his friend Jill. The weather was cool but sunny and beautiful so we had the opportunity to take their adorable chihuahua Jimmy for a couple of walks around Green Lake.


We also went to a life drawing session at the University of Washington
on Sunday. Jeff is a brilliant illustrator! For me, not having done life drawing for 30 years...well, that's another story.














14 comments:

  1. I thought I detected Julie's style! I love her art!! How fun that you got to play with her and make some beautiful art!! And that you got to meet your brother. Sounds like a great trip all around... Love, Silke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome piece! Sounds like the class was a blast! Nice pic of your brother and glad you got to hang out with him!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful piece Lisa! It sounds like a great experience, and to combine the trip with family time must have been icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a good trip, and that little Jimmy is adorable. Here is some trivia: I also have a brother Jeff living in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow.....a class with julie?!!!! how fabulous!!! i LOVE her work and i'm so happy for you that you were able to go and spend some creative time with her!!! and how great that your brother lives in that area too! p.s. i have a brother named jeff.....aren't guys named jeff the absolute best?!!
    xox, :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Renee! This is so precious! I know you had a wonderful time. Where are your life drawing sketches?? Ok, let's see!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I clicked on it to get a better look.
    It's fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you tire of it, I have first dibs on it remember!
    Jimmy suits Jeff! Cute photo...

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey Lisa.. oh what fun!! art class yay!! It looks like a gorgeous piece with sooo many different types of media.. you are right it's great all just doing the same image so you don't spend half the class stressing over what to do.. ( that would be me ) hehe! ohh .. cut little chiwowo!!

    Yes .. picking up the little dove .. was just so surreal.. it's like it wanted me to.. lovin it!

    Ciao .. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh that is so beautiful! What a great trip you had and then seeing your brother!!! And he loves dogs! He is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lisa! I LOVE your piece, and it sounds like you had such a great time! How wonderful to have a brother that's also a talented artist!...What a cute photo of Jeff and the poochie! xoxo Paulette ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lisa: This piece is WAY COOL!!!! I love it! What a great workshop this must have been. Thanks for sharing!

    And you were in my most favorite place in the whole wide world! I love Seattle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful class it sounded like. And smart that you got to replicate her work so that you could see/try all of the techniques. I know you will fly with those techniques! Your brother and pup look so charming..it sounds like you had a fantastic time. : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE this Lisa...reminds me of how wonderful it is to take classes. I haven't done that in so long.

    Nice that you got to spend time with your brother too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a look. I appreciate your comments!