Saturday, February 20, 2010

Baby Shower Invitation











I was asked by Ilyssa over at Brenda Himmel Stationery to do an invitation for sweet Misty who works there doing graphic design. I was delighted! The guidelines included, no pink, no pastels, no cutesy. Uh oh, how do I make it look like baby without the cute??? Well, I do like a challenge, so here is what I ended up with.
I typeset and printed the info for the tags, the return address, and the address on the front of the envelope. I then hand cut all the tags and labels for addresses. I then used stamp pad ink on a sponge to color all the edges. Punched wholes and added eyelets to the tags. Mounted scrapbook paper to card stock, cut the striped paper for the pocket and glued it to the base. Then added handcut flowers to the base as well. I tied fiber to each tag. I cut out pieces of canvas and rubber stamped "baby" on them and attached it to the fiber on the invitation tag with a tiny safety pin. The final touch was a ribbon around the pocket. Phew! After a day and a half of work, twenty-two invites were in the mail!










Here's a view of the whole background that the invitation sits on. The flowers that I glued onto the base paper I cut out of an envelope lining that I had leftover. The striped kraft paper pocket is from a Whole Foods hot bag!









A little surprise tag tucked behind the invitation with the registry information.










I had decided to do a few different background patterns so that not all the invitations were exactly the same. It was fun to play with the variety and still make the design work.

15 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful, Lisa. I love the look of the vintage typewriter font with the flowers. She is going to love them. Can't believe you did it all in a day and a half!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That invitation is perfect!! I adore the typeset.... it's my favorite!! Great job, Lisa!! I would be thrilled with those!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic, Lisa!! This is soooo now but completely says baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa
    Well I just love these.. and agree the typeset is fabulous.. It was the first thing that caught my eye... I jumped into the large format of these photos and the second thing that caught my eye.. was the BABY tag with safety pin... so sweet .. and creative.. You have so much going on with these without it being busy... which is very clever.. ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lisa what a great job you have done.
    The invitations are lovely, you must have worked none stop to get them finished and posted off.

    I think the mommy-to-be will be really pleased with them.

    Great Stuff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect!! Loved the Baby tag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok, so what does one say about what you do?

    LOVE these! and seems like it was a huge labor of love...no pun intended.

    using the Whole Foods bags was very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh , these are so adorable.. and that is a LOT of work . I'm sure she will be rapt!!!
    I just LOVE the font you have used .. delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a wonderful job, Lisa. You don't give yourself enough credit for your talent although I know you are proud of this giving job. I am proud of you for many things you've accomplished thru out the years I know you. You are amazing in so many ways. I hope you will embrace this fact.
    xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is SO beautiful and sweet! I love the vintage tag look that you used, perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am biased of course but anything from you will do including pink and cutesy because I love everything you do! Thank you for your kind words Lisa. Renee missed knowing a great artist.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! You are amazing..and to know what to do with all of the pieces/parts is awesome. With your keen eye, I could visualize you working on it right now..very swift and deliberate. I think that the textures and colors, the whole feel of the entire project is so lovely - definitely celebratory, baby, but not "cutesy"..completely designed so well. Many thanks for your kind visit and words..you are always so good to me : ) ..I can't wait to get back to the IF postings but for now I am so happy working on my new pieces. I'll be by soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. these are wonderfully creative and charming. A keepsake for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun, Lisa! I hope the mommy-to-be was happy with your work, I know it took some serious time to put all those together! VERY creative!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a look. I appreciate your comments!